Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hello Blog, I Remember You. And a Few Thoughts on Goals.

Yes, it's been a while since I wrote a blog post. I had to remember my way back.

So what's happening in my life? What am I learning?

Lately, my time has been occupied by two big goals:

1) Run a half marathon - to be accomplished October 21
2) Finish graduate school - to be accomplished December 12

Both are proving to be quite time consuming, especially as I tackle them at the same time.

Goals are a good thing. When you know what you want to accomplish, and set measurable parameters around it, you're more likely to be successful. It makes sense. You can't run a good race if you don't know the location of the finish line. So why do so many of us run our lives without an end in mind? With a lack of purpose?

I recently read "The Circle Maker" by Mark Batterson. His book is about the power of prayer, and he shares stories of prayer at work in his life and his ministry. Overall, the book is a  great reminder of the importance of setting time aside every day to be in prayer and fellowship with God.

He also talks about goals. He says that "goals are dreams with deadlines," and it often starts with prayer. God can give you some of your biggest, most exciting goals, Batterson claims, when you're closely connected to Him.

The two goals above are short term goals. In a few weeks, they'll both be crossed off my list.

What's next?

I'm hoping God will help me figure that out.


No comments:

Post a Comment