Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Grad School: Why Am I Doing This?

I’m currently in my third semester of graduate school at Grand Valley State University, and I frequently find myself questioning my rationale for going back to school. 

Like when I’m on my computer for three hours in the evening writing papers.
Or spending hours on a weekend going through piles of assigned reading.
Or sitting in class for three hours after a full day of work.
Or missing out on time with my friends because I have to study.

Graduate school is rough, so I am constantly reminding myself that it’s a short term sacrifice for long term gain. With my degree, I hope to advance my career and open up new opportunities. It can be fun at times, too. I’ve become friends with people who I may otherwise have never met, the topics are interesting, and I can find humor in drawn out class discussions.

Plus, these days I don’t hesitate to do my homework with a glass of wine by my side.

More importantly, I've realized that going back to school is a character builder. I’m learning to practice patience, kindness, and respect in moments when I don’t feel them. I’m trying to send vibes of Godly love towards classmates who drive me absolutely bonkers. I’m living in the moment - even if that moment is currently inside a cement block classroom.

Grad school is a challenge, but I know it will be worth it in the long run. Receiving my degree will be a sign of my growth both personally, professionally, and even spiritually. As Paul wrote to the Romans, perseverance pays off: 

"We rejoice in our suffering, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us." Romans 5:3-5 (NIV).

It may be a tad extreme to liken grad school to "suffering," but it gets my point across. Oftentimes, we must do things we don't like to do in order to grow.

So I will continue on with my degree, and in approximately 15 months I will have a small piece of calligraphy to show for my suffering. But I'll have a lot of hope for my future, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment